The Opener

January 19, 2014 in BMW 318ti

Here is the whip, pretty much as I received it:

 

Do it to it.

So, the story of the car goes like this…  A friend of mine bought this car from a shop that acquired it from guy who had crashed it.  Both the shop and my friend had bought it with the intentions of tracking it as a weekend warrior.  The car was being passed around fairly cheaply due to the damage it had sustained in the crash that eventually brought the car to me, so I got it for nothing – basically.  Both of the people that had bought the wrecked car own shops for specialized cars – and much like most shop owners, neither had any time for their own projects.  This is where I enter the scene.

I was getting an itch for a project, it was just the beginnings of a thought, though.  I told my friend that I was beginning to sort out what I’d like to build next and he told my he’d sell me the bimmer for what he’d paid for it – a ridiculous sum, I could sell two of the wheels and turn a profit.  At first I though he was joking; I’d always made fun of the car – a ti hatch is basically the most loathed e36, well, in North America anyway.  It just never looked quite right…  The more I thought about it the better this idea sounded, the car already had coil-overs, roll bar, harnesses, not to mention the swap to an in-line six.  I figured that I should jump on this before the offer was off of the table.

There were only two problems with the only sensible course of action of buying the car.  The first was the promise that I made to my wife that the times for project cars were over, a doomed promise.  I think that deep down we both knew that I’d never be able to be without some sort of debacle of a machine in my life.  So I devised a plan, a cute plan, to have my son give me the car for Father’s Day.  After exposing the new addition to our driveway on a bright Sunday morning I was left with a profound knowledge that there is no smooth way to surprise your wife with derelict 3-series BMW.  Oh yeah, that’s the second problem, it had suffered a catastrophic crash and was currently not working.  The fact that it didn’t work – and hadn’t in years – didn’t really sweeten the deal for her.

After a bit of a tense day my wife forgave me and the project began…  The front end was straightened with some makeshift bending equipment, plastic was kijiji’ed and cracked aluminum was welded.

It’s not pretty, but it’s a starting point.  Let the build begin!

DSC_9168